FAQs when Processing Travel

Below are some common questions that are asked in regards to processing Travel:

  1. How do I close a Travel Authorization?  Only the Travel Office has the ability of closing a Travel Authorization.  Just email the TA number (s) you want to close and the reason you want them closed and the Travel Office will close these.
  2. Is an SSN Required when Proposing a Vendor?  The only time an SSN is not required is if it is for a guest where there are NO reimbursable expenses being requested.  If after the trip, you then realize that there will be reimbursable expenses, an SSN would be required prior to completing the Travel Claim.