How to Surplus both Inventoried and Non-Inventoried Items
Understanding the Surplus Process:
- Regardless of dollar value, university property may not be traded, sold, salvaged, destroyed, transferred to other state agencies, or cannibalized until the Surplus Manager and Marketing and Redistribution have given prior approval.
- In instances where items have become surplus to a department; the person designated within a department to surplus the items must enter the items for surplus in the AIMS application of BASIS.
- Once the items have been entered, the surplus batch is approved by the Responsible Employee designated in AIMS, along with Financial Affairs (Property Accounting), and the Surplus Manger.
- Once the batch has been approved', a Request for Disposal of Surplus Property report is generated by the Surplus Manager along with surplus-inventory bar code labels, which are then sent to the departmental contact. These labels are placed on the front of each item being surplussed.
- The surplus manager, in coordination with the departmental contact, will schedule a time for pick up of the items. When items are picked up, the departmental contact must sign a copy of the report verifying what items were picked up. The items will be transported to the surplus warehouse.
- After items have been received and moved to the Surplus Warehouse, the budgetary unit for all items will be changed from the department's BU to the surplus warehouse's BU. These items will no longer be the responsibility of the department. Items received at the Surplus Warehouse are either held for recycling back on campus, sold by sealed bid, scrapped, or sold through public auctions.
Below is a Step by Step Guide for Entering your Surplus Information:
This is a 3 step process: Step 1: Creating the Batch Number, Step 2: Adding Items to the Batch, Step 3: Submitting the Batch for Approval.
Step 1: Creating the Batch Number:
- In the Command field type SPB (SurPlus Batch) with an Action of A (Add) and press enter. A small window will be displayed with provides information regarding the University's
e-Cycle program. Once you have read this message, press enter.
- Your cursor is in the BU field. Type your BU code, or press PF1 to select from a list.
- In the Employee ID field either type the employee ID for the person responsible for the batch, OR press the PF1 key to activate the employee search. Once you have located the employee and selected the name, the ID will be displayed in the field.
- Type the Phone number in the Phone number field, and the Campus Address where the items will be stored in the Campus Address field.
- If you want to include any notes, type those in the Notes field.
- Press enter to validate and PF10 to save.
- A Surplus Batch Number is displayed in the banner. Below is an example of the screen
Depending on whether you are adding assets to the batch that currently are being tracked in AIMS and have a tag number or if you are entering items to be surplussed in AIMS that are not currently being tracked, you will use one of the steps below:
Step 2: When you are Adding Assets to the Batch that ARE being Tracked in AIMS and have a Tag Number
Important: If the item is being tracked in AIMS the item will either have a red tag (capital) or blue tag (dept. entered) attached to it.
- In the Command field type SA (Surplus Asset) with an Action of an A (add).
- Tab to the Tag No: field and type in the Tag Number (Be sure and type the T at the beginning of the number) press enter.
- A window is displayed for you to select the type of asset you are going to surplus. Once you select the type you will press PF10 to save your selection.
- The information related to your asset is then be displayed on the screen. At this point if you need to modify the location, you can do so by pressing the PF1 and locating the appropriate location.
- In the Condition field, press PF1 and select the appropriate action.
- If the action requires a certification, you are required to type the person's name who certifies the action was taken in the Certified by field.
- Press PF10 to save the adding of the asset to the batch. Below is an example of the screen
Step 2: Adding an Asset to the Batch that IS NOT Currently in AIMS
- In the Command field type SA with an Action of A (add). If there is currently a Tag Number sitting in the Tag No: field, REMOVE IT, then press enter.
- A window is displayed for you to select the type of asset you are going to surplus. Once you select the type, you will press PF10 to save your selection.
- Depending on the type you selected, the system requires you to enter other information related to the asset, for example: Make, Model, and Serial Number.
- In the Located in Room Tag No: field you are required to enter the room location where the asset is stored.
- In the Condition field, press PF1 to select the condition of the item.
- In the Pre-surplus action press PF1 to select the appropriate action.
- If the action requires a certification, you are required to type the person's name who certifies the action was taken in the Certified by field. Press PF10 to save the addition.
Step 3: Submitting your Batch for Electronic Approval
- In the Command field type: SPBA with an Action of an S (Submit). Press enter to validate and PF10 to Submit. Below is an example of the screen layout: